Tuesday, June 2, 2009

tries hands at art

Bought a sewing machine, for I've been itchin' to sew my own pillowcases, curtains, and sofa cover. Yep. I'm that brave - I will attempt to sew cover for the humongous couch in my living room, so large it could double as a daybed. And I have no training - formal or not, whatsoever - in sewing.

One thing I learned from using the sewing machine, though - read the manual before attempting to do anything with a machine that punches needles. Here's what I did:
  1. tried to sample stitches on the sewing machine with a piece of fabric.
  2. fabric got stuck, but didn't take my foot off the pedal at once.
  3. heard a loud snap from the needle. took foot off the pedal.
  4. checked the needle - it's intact.
  5. checked self - no injury.
  6. read the manual, it says something like this: adjust the stitch length accordingly and use the right pattern for the corresponding fabric type. not doing so may cause the fabric to get stuck, causing the needle to hit a metal part in the bobbin, which may cause you injury.
Okay, I'm embarrassing myself now.

Exhibit A below shows how amateur I am with this craft.

But I don't stop at sewing...

I bought these little foam patterns for scrap-booking and is turning them into stamps by sticking them into an illustration board.

So far, I haven't succeeded with any of my "crafty plans." All of the stuff are in my craft box, sitting and waiting for me to be in the mood for art again.

No comments:

Post a Comment